Learn How To Balance Your Accounts
Reconciling your accounts isn’t difficult, but it does require that you take a hands-on approach to managing your finances. Use these easy steps to learn how to balance your checking account.
Step 1. Update your checkbook register (Be sure to deduct service charges.)
Step 2. List outstanding checks, POS and ATM transactions, and other withdrawals.
Step 3. Reconcile your account.
- Enter the balance from your statement.
- Add the deposits made, but not shown on your statement.
- Subtract your outstanding balance.
- The total should agree with your checkbook balance.
If balances do not agree:
- Check addition and subtraction in your register.
- Compare your checks, Point of Sale/Debit Card (POS) and ATM transactions, and any other withdrawals in your register with your statement.
- Compare deposit receipts and entries in your register with statement.
- Be sure all checks, POS and ATM transactions, service charges, and other payments and deposits are entered into your register.
- Be sure any interest credits are entered in the deposit section of your register.