Identity Theft Resources
Washington State Auditor's Office (SAO) Security Breach
Recently, a third party provider of the Washington State Auditor's Office (SAO) was affected by a data breach. Washingtonians who filed for unemployment in 2020 may have had their personal information comprised, including name, social security number, and/or banking information. For current information about this breach, please refer to the Washington State Auditor's website.
What to Do If You Are a Victim of Identity Theft
Contact your Kitsap Bank branch immediately. The sooner the bank is given notice, the better. We can freeze your accounts and track activity.
- Set up a folder to keep a detailed history. Include a log of every action you take, copies of all correspondence and/or forms you receive or send, names and contact information of everyone you contact, as well as all information surrounding the contact.
- Keep track of the financial loss to you.
- Report the identity theft to the authorities.
- Contact all creditors. Do this by phone and in writing (save copies of the letters) to be sure they are properly informed.
- Contact the three major credit reporting agencies. Ask for a "Fraud Alert Victim Impact" statement to be placed in your credit file asking that creditors call you before opening any new accounts. Request that a copy of your credit report be sent to you.
- Contact the Federal Trade Commission to report the problem. The FTC is the national clearing house for complaints by victims of identity theft.
- Contact ChexSystems to proactively place an ID Theft Security Alert on your file - 800-842-5880
- Ask businesses to provide you with information about transactions made in your name. The Washington State Identity Theft Law requires businesses to provide information about transactions made in your name.
- If you have any checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, immediately report it to these agencies:
- National Check Fraud Service - 843-571-2143
- SCAN - 800-262-7771
- TeleCheck - 800-710-9898
- CheckRite - 800-766-2748
- ChexSystems - 800-842-5880
- International Check Services - 800-526-5380
- Contact the Social Security Administration's Fraud Hotline at 800-269-0271.
- Contact the state office of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to see if another license was issued in your name.
Kitsap Bank is committed to helping with protection from identity theft.
We welcome your call to our Customer Service Center at 800-283-5537, option 0.